R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS AN ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client is one of the largest private alternative investment managers in Africa, with R58 billion (US$4.2 billion) assets under management. They manage investments in private equity, infrastructure and a range of impact funds.
The 73 investment professionals in Johannesburg, Cape Town, Abidjan, Lagos and Nairobi manage 27 active funds investing in more than 163 portfolio companies and seven fund of funds.
The company chooses to make a positive social impact across Africa by going ‘Beyond the Obvious’ to uncover opportunities that others may overlook. They aim to deliver higher returns by mobilising capital intelligently to both participate in and catalyse significant African growth opportunities.
They now seek two investment professionals to join their team. You will report to the senior investment professional: impact investing. Exciting roles!
If you seek to make a difference to development in South Africa through investment and enjoy working in a dynamic team this is the place to be.
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified affirmative action candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be responsible for originating and managing assets in the impact investing space;
- You will be responsible for researching, analysing and providing relevant information in the impact investing space in the fields of rental, student and retirement accommodation with a focus on the affordable end of the market;
- You will be required to originate projects, independently or in association with other members of the team;
- You will be required to undertake sourcing, screening, due diligence and analysis of investments and the suitability of an investment and investment partner with reference to track record, financial soundness, sustainability, scalability, operational soundness, including sales and profit estimates, projected rates of return on capital, total equity, asset utilization and leverage;
- You will be required to make recommendations regarding investment attractiveness in comparison to other deals both within the fund and independent but known projects;
- You will be required to structure the deal within the mandates of the fund, develop a financial model for the project in conjunction with the JV partners.
- You will be required to stress test the model appropriately;
- You will be required, together with the credit analysts, to help devise an internal rating for the project;
- You will be required to negotiate and develop appropriate term sheets for the project; You will be required to stress these in terms of default probabilities;
- You will be required to write up and present investment proposals;
- You will be required to make investment recommendations to the investment committees;
- You will be responsible for management of rental, student and retirement accommodation investments, either jointly or singly responsible for the performance of certain assets which includes:
- The client relationship with regard to those assets;
- The client compliance with the letter and spirit of the legal agreements on an ongoing basis;
- Ensuring the client delivers on the development mandate of the relevant fund;
- The quarterly performance of the client’s projects portfolio;
- You will be responsible for writing quarterly, bi-annual and annual reviews and ad-hoc internal and external stakeholder reports;
- You will be responsible for preparing bi-annual monthly and annual valuations of assets;
- You will be required to contribute to decisions about the management of problem assets;
- You will be required to provide report-backs and performance feedback;
- You will be required to contribute as a member of the team to the management and policy directions of the funds;
- You will be required to contribute where required to interacting with and managing, third party investors into the fund;
- You will be required to analyse and record the developmental impacts and social benefits as a consequence of investments.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have honed decision making skills;
- You have sound implementation skills;
- You are tenacious;
- You have a strong work ethic;
- You have proven passion and commitment;
- You have the ability to take initiative;
- You are able to take ownership;
- You are team orientated.
- You have strong technical knowledge, particularly financial modelling and assessment arena- based on relevant experience
- You have honed thinking and problem-solving skills;
- You have a solution orientated bias;
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in English and superior relationship building skills.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a BSc property studies, B Bus Sc, CA(SA) with clients at audit in financial services;
- You have relevant post-graduate degree (such as MBA, CFA, Masters in Development Studies) ;
- You have a minimum of 4 years current, relevant experience in origination and investments and an enviable track record of same!
Outstanding team – superior deal flow – superb impact on the market in this niche space.