R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client who has been established in South Africa and investing on behalf of clients has grown to become one of Africa’s largest investment management companies. This company is an investment management firm focussed on building long-term wealth for their clients. The company’s primary goal is to achieve long term wealth creation for its clients.
They now seek a lead architect to join their team.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to provide strategic technical leadership within the retail division of the company;
- You will be required to work closely with various managers across our development, IT business domains, and various business stakeholders;
- You will be required, while the role is strategic, to be hands on involvement managing a small team of architects, devops and security ops staff;
- You will be required to ensure our architecture is fit for purpose;
- You will be required to manage the integrity of our architecture to maximise longevity, stability, and ease of use when developing solutions on top of it;
- You will be required to ensure we have the appropriate level of governance when making architectural decisions;
- You will be required to balance business value vs architectural integrity when making technology decisions;
- You will be required to drive the adoption of new technologies (cloud) and development practices;
- You will be responsible for setting guidelines on technical architecture, best engineering practices and development patterns;
- You will be required to coach the technology teams to use modern software engineering best practices and tools, including continuous delivery, devops and security ops;
- You will be responsible for coaching engineers to ensure appropriate technical decisions are made to build resilient and strategic systems in an incremental way;
- You will be responsible for providing technical leadership and support to software development product teams;
- You will be responsible for staying current on recommended ‘best practice’ as it applies to technology and software development;
- You will be required to play an active and hands-on role in the development environment. With the team of architects, they operate as a unit that engage in active debate between themselves and development teams to ensure efficient and appropriate use of technology. When required, they operate within delivery teams to provide leadership in solution and people development. They provide a leadership and influencing role but can also direct when required;
- You will be required to lead a team of architects that has strong and often diverging views. It is the lead architect’s role to use his / her technology, facilitation and business knowledge to guide the team to appropriate, pragmatic solutions.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You have strong relationship skills. A major task is to communicate complex technical information to all stakeholders including those who do not have a technical background; Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills are also required;
- You are able to lead and build a high-performance team;
- You have a good understanding of the business processes within the financial services sector;
- You are able to spot key industry trends (both within the financial sector and application development) and use this information to provide a competitive advantage to our business;
- You have a positive attitude to work and change;
- You have good time management skills;
- You have strong collaboration ethic, with ability to collaborate with teams from cross-functional disciplines;
- You are able to multi-task; work to tight deadlines and able to cope under pressure.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a strong academic background in engineering or computer science (post graduate level);
- You have current, relevant experience in implementing devops practices;
- You have current, relevant experience with the technology stack;
- You have knowledge of cloud technologies (AWS this would be a distinct advantage);
- You are proficient in the techniques that go into producing designs of complex IT systems, including requirements discovery and analysis, solution design, technology selection, and design configuration;
- You have extensive experience in developing software solutions primarily within an agile environment and an understanding and background in traditional SDLC is also necessary;
- You have an extensive technical breadth through experience in the IT industry. This breadth should be in areas of application development and deployment and in the areas of creation and maintenance of the infrastructure to support complex application environments. The IT environments includes numerous systems (both internally developed and packaged solutions), developed in different languages on different operating systems and database platforms. It is therefore essential that you have experience across multiple platforms and distributed systems;
- You have a good understanding of various enterprise architecture methodologies. You are comfortable deploying parts of methods appropriate to the specific situation;
- You have current, relevant experience with all aspects of a project from design through development, testing, implementation and production.
Great company – wonderful opportunity; disciplined organised work environment with smart, clever people who celebrate a healthy work ethic and successful work environment. Stable, respected international company.