R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE
Our client founded over 160 years ago and now has more than 23 million clients and £457 billion under management. The company operates as an investment management firm. They provide portfolio management and advisory services. The company serves clients worldwide. They offer investors a focused range of unit trusts to suit all risk profiles and return objectives. Their unit trusts include equity funds, balanced funds, property funds, income funds, tax-free funds and offshore funds. AUM approximately R200 billion.
They now seek a retail legal and compliance manager to join their team. You will report to the head of governance, risk and compliance. This is a new role.
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified affirmative action candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to operate autonomously while working alongside a driven, successful, extremely competent team of risk and compliance professionals and within an established but expanding governance framework;
- You will be required to adapt, initiate and maintain policies and procedures for the general operation of the retail compliance programme and its related activities, including contract sign offs and monitoring of retail call centre activities and related AML oversight in the retail market;
- You will be required to collaborate within the risk and compliance and other departments, senior management, and executive directors to receive and implement legislative interpretation in relation to retail products and retail distribution within the organisation;
- You will be required to act as an independent reviewer to ensure that compliance and risk issues within the organisation relating to retail sales and distribution are being appropriately resolved;
- You will be required to monitor and coordinate compliance to legislation, company policies and procedures in relation to retail product sales and distribution;
- You will be required to identify areas of potential compliance vulnerability and risk and to develop or implement corrective action plans for resolution;
- You will be required to provide reporting on a regular basis to keep governance committees, boards and senior management informed of the operation and progress of compliance efforts in the retail markets;
- You will be required to ensure proper reporting to regulatory bodies on retail distribution items;
- You will be required to collaborate within the risk and compliance department and with other departments to maintain an effective compliance training programme for the retail client services team and retail sales areas.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have a very good academic record, are adaptable and can work to high standards and across multiple disciplines; You are able to thrive in a challenging, pressured environment with exposure at all levels of the organisation;
- You enjoy working in the retail market and are skilled at understanding FAIS, retirement funds, unit trust and long term insurance legislation and regulations with a specific focus on providing products to the retail market, directly and via intermediate services, either through product platforms or financial advisors;
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You take initiative and work independently;
- You are assertive and self-motivated;
- You are able to pro-actively facilitate and influence key stakeholders;
- You are able to build effective relationships externally and internally;
- You are able to tolerate stress;
- You are adaptable;
- You are accurate.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You are a qualified attorney ·
- You have a minimum of 5 years current, relevant experience working in the investments arena and with retail investments in particular–
- You are capable of registration as a FAIS compliance officer for retail products;
- You have a technical understanding of financial products and instruments;
- You have excellent numeracy skills. Ideally a B.Com Llb – or B.Bus Sc Llb.
You are smart, capable and competent. You are a hard working individual who is passionate about doing their job well and better every day. You will be well rewarded and have a great brand on your resume – that will ensure you are well positioned in this competitive and ever changing working world!