R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS to attract and entice. You are not looking but would be keen to work for this industry leader. The role will not fall off as a result of the Covid downturn.
Our client who has been established in South Africa and investing on behalf of clients and has grown to become one of Africa’s largest investment management companies. This company is an investment management firm focussed on building long-term wealth for their clients. The company’s primary goal is to achieve long term wealth creation for its clients.
They now seek a software development manager to join their team. This is a role to replace a long standing staff member. It manages a very highly performing and technology ‘bleeding edge’ team. You need to be sharp on the latest technology and good at managing a small, focused, highly skilled team. You MUST have worked in a high performance environment – so another FS firm; technology company; global/international firm with best practice work style and manner. You are a well qualified and fit for purpose candidate who is also an affirmative action candidate.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to lead and assist the developers in building world-class solutions for the asset management business; this is a BIG role!
- You will be required to drive software delivery projects across multiple teams and provide expertise and guidance to the various functional roles across the full value chain of software development; The application development stack consists of ReactJs applications interacting with .NET Core APIs, deployed on an elastic containerized infrastructure supported and managed on premises through Kubernetes; As a team, one would apply best practices in user experience, DevOps, web application architecture, solution design and testing; The data is stored in on-premise SQL Server databases, providing the foundation for both the applications and reporting capabilities in the business.
- You will be responsible, in addition to rolling out new and enhanced application functionality, for a major focus in the area for the medium term is to improve the data flows and transition to a new data warehouse;
- You will be required to bring a willingness and excitement to find innovative solutions and assist the teams with the delivery of complex software projects in a performance-driven environment that will also allow you to play with the latest and great technologies, then the company may just be perfect for you;
- People management:
- You will be responsible for the management of software developers (via tech leads) within Institutional IT across multiple teams (+/- 30 people in the development team); institutional IT here refers to the institutional investments business – not the retail business;
- You will be required to understand the development skills/capacity (planning) needed and work to put this in place;
- You will be responsible for involvement in the recruitment of developers, including the placement of graduates;
- You will be responsible for onboarding new employees both experienced and at graduate level;
- You will be responsible for people development through coaching, mentoring and driving activities focused on developer skills upliftment;
- Involvement in design and development of solutions:
- You will be responsible for overarching responsibility for delivery of the developers across the teams;
- You will be required to provide expertise and guidance to the various functional roles across the full value chain of software development – architecture, requirements, design, implementation, testing, deployment, maintenance (production support and monitoring);
- You will be responsible for input into larger / complex development items;
- You will be required to drive the implementation of architecture and coding standards across teams;
- You will be required to understand the (resolve) key system issues being experienced across all systems;
- You will be responsible for collaborating with key people within the IT and business teams, domain owners, architects and business stakeholders;
- Governance; risk management and process improvement:
- You will be required to ensure good governance in place for release management process and drive improvements / automation;
- You will be required to maintain a release management process across all systems that meets external and internal audit requirements;
- You will be responsible for managing internal and external audit reviews;
- You will be required to understand key risks in Institutional IT and implement controls / processes / capacity to address these risks.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have excellent leadership skills;
- You have the ability to deal with senior stakeholders;
- You have a strong track record of managing and implementation of tech solutions;
- You have the ability to work effectively as part of a diverse team;
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You have strong interpersonal skills;
- You have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- You have strong organisational and planning skills.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- B. Computer Science/B.Bus Sc IT/Hnrs computer science or IT; minimum
- You have a minimum of 6 years current, relevant direct people management experience in a HIGH performance global best practice culture;
- You have current, relevant experience managing multiple software development teams in the ‘same’ environment as mentioned above;
- You have a minimum of 8 years current, relevant on an equivalent tech stack experience as a software developer;
- You have expert knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes and testing;
- You have current, relevant experience in writing SQL for Microsoft SQL server, including stored procedures, UDF’s and other T-SQL querying;
- You have current, relevant experience in system integration, distributed computing and building enterprise-wide systems;
- You have current, relevant experience with data integration, validation and reconciliation (SSIS or similar);
- You have expert knowledge of reporting technologies (SSRS);
- You have current, relevant experience in analysing data and performing complex data manipulation using Microsoft SQL;
- You have current, relevant experience in design and implement relational and dimensional database structures;
- You have current, relevant experience with creating and maintaining cubes (SSAS).
This is a great role. The team are smart, can do, savvy and highly motivated. They need a leader but are able to function well until the perfect person is appointed. This role reports to a wonderful manager – she is smart, capable, confident and allows her staff to make decisions for themselves – she believes in hiring the best and allowing them to do their job and not micro manage. Very prestigious firm. Loads of opportunities!