R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client who has been established in South Africa and investing on behalf of clients since 1974 has grown to become Africa’s largest privately owned investment management company. The company is an investment management firm focussed on building long-term wealth for their clients.
They now seek a legal advisor to join their LEGAL team – retail – so unit trust business – and then also the greater retail offering not just the legal team.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be responsible for assisting the retail legal team with a variety of tasks in rendering its services to the broader retail business;
- You will be required to assist in reviewing and interpreting new (applicable) legislation / sub-ordinate legislation;
- You will be responsible for providing legal advice to relevant business areas and on relevant projects;
- You will be required to advise management, employees and clients on all legal matters that affect business decisions;
- You will be responsible for assessment of feasibility of existing and/or new products and/or enhancements from a legal perspective;
- You will be responsible for product and features related legal queries;
- You will be responsible for drafting and reviewing of relevant forms / documents;
- You will be required to assist with staff training and/or knowledge presentations (as applicable);
- You will be required to assist with the resolution of disputes: liaising with external attorneys, industry ombudsman etc.;
- You will be required to engage with industry bodies where necessary;
- You will be required to have knowledge of / familiarity with the following legislation:
- Pension Funds Act;
- Collective Investment Schemes Control Act;
- Long-Term Insurance Act;
- Insurance Act;
- Financial Intelligence Centre Act;
- Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act;
- Income Tax Act;
- Exchange Control Regulations.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have strong business acumen and good problem-solving skills;
- You have the ability to multi-task, effectively;
- You have the ability to collaborate across teams;
- You have a high standard of work and you are conscientious and consistently hard working;
- You are deadline and delivery focused;
- You are able to take initiative / be proactive and exercise sound judgment and decision making;
- You have the ability to operate independently as well as in a team;
- You have the ability to relate well at all levels of staff and a diverse group of people.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have B Com / BA, LLB with completed articles and good academic results;
- You are an admitted attorney;
- You have a minimum of 1 – 2 years post articles experience – in an investment space –
- You have current, relevant experience as a legal adviser at a financial institution (preferably with knowledge of investment and retirement type-products) – this would be a distinct advantage.
This is a super team. Great succession planning has resulted in this role. Manager is open, friendly, super smart and engaging. Work is challenging and standards are high. You can go to work proudly every day working for this stellar outfit!