R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
This global, top performing asset manager, who consistently outperforms ‘all’ benchmarks is headquartered in Cape Town and is one of Southern Africa’s most successful third-party fund management companies. They are a pure fund management business that provides both individual and institutional investors with access to markets across a number of geographies. Located in all the major regions in South Africa they also have offices in Botswana, Swaziland, Ireland, Namibia and the United Kingdom.
They now seek a company secretary to join their team. You will report to the CFO, who is young, spunky, can do and smart as can be!
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified, previously disadvantaged candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to ensure that the board of directors, the company and all its subsidiary companies (collectively the group) comply with sound corporate governance principles;
- You will be required to fulfill all obligations / duties of a company secretary as set out in the JSE listings requirements;
- You will be required to ensure compliance by the group with relevant legislation and regulation (such as the companies act and JSE listings requirements) and ensure the appropriate application of relevant codes (such as the King Code IV etc.);
- You will be required to ensure that any new law or changes to existing law affecting corporate governance that, in turn, require amendments to processes or systems are communicated appropriately within the business and implemented within the required timelines;
- You will be responsible for the preparation of agenda’s for board meetings for the group;
- You will be required to manage preparation for board meetings and compilation of deliverables required for the board meetings (such as meeting packs);
- You will be required to attend, record and transcribe minutes at board meetings and at any other committee meetings as required from time to time;
- You will be required to draft resolutions required across the group;
- You will be required to provide support to directors regarding all relevant matters, including their duties in relation to corporate governance and compliance and any other training required under the JSE listings requirements and/or any other application law or regulation;
- You will be required to facilitate annual board and sub-committee evaluations / assessments;
- You will be required to review and update board charters, board committee charters and related documents on an annual and on an ad hoc basis (to the extent that changes are required to cater for amendments to applicable law or corporate governance codes such as King IV);
- You will be required to liaise with all internal stakeholders to ensure appropriate application of King IV principles;
- You will be required to monitor and report on corporate governance;
- You will be responsible for trends and laws allowing for consideration and timely anticipation of new requirements;
- You will be required to liaise, in consultation with the company general counsel, with outside attorneys when external legal advice is required on corporate matters and ensure that the advice is conveyed to the board and / or the business, as applicable, in a clear manner;
- You will be required to maintain company statutory records, submit annual returns and annual financial statements for the group to CIPC;
- You will be required to submit annual financial statements, annual integrated report, relevant certificates and any other information / submissions as required from time to time to the JSE;
- You will be required to create and maintain director disclosures register;
- You will be required to ensure that a director and employee company share trading policy is maintained and that all directors and relevant staff understand their obligations in relation to dealing in the company’s shares;
- You will be required to prepare and facilitate company secretarial audits;
- You will be required to ensure that the group’s collateral (including letterheads and website content) is updated to take into account any changes in directorships or company structure. Where new subsidiary companies are established, ensure that all corporate secretarial aspects in relation to the new subsidiary company are attend to (including establishing a company register, maintaining minute books, making the necessary filings with CIPC and ensuring that a letterhead is prepared for the new company);
- You will be required to manage relationships with and liaise with transfer secretaries and sponsors;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that SENS announcements are released when required under the JSE listings requirements, as well as drafting and releasing of the SENS announcements in consultation with the company’s sponsor;
- You will be required to provide input to the preparation, management and content of the annual integrated report; You will be required to ensure that the notice of AGM contains all required resolutions and is distributed to shareholders on a timely basis ahead of the AGM; You will be required to manage the King IV application register and disclosure in the annual integrated report;
- You will be required to manage, arrange and prepare for AGM’s and ensure that the AGM SENS results announcements are released within the required timelines;
- You will be required to arrange and co-ordinate dividend payment process, including drafting and ensuring that the required resolutions are approved, timetables notified to the JSE and SENS announcements are release;
- You will be required to attend to all miscellaneous tasks falling within the ambit of a company secretarial role.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You are a self-starter;
- You are highly organized;
- You are proactive and accountable;
- You have a keen eye for detail with high accuracy;
- You have the ability to prioritise and multi-task with excellent time management skills;
- You have excellent organizational skills with the ability to project manage when required;
- You have strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to engage at all levels across the group and to build relationships across the business;
- You have the ability to network within the profession;
- You have the ability to manage projects / tasks to meet required deadlines bearing in mind that many of the deliverables of the role must be completed within timelines set under the JSE listings requirements and the companies act.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a LLB, BA Law, B Comm Law, BBusSc Law, BAccLLB;
- You have a company secretarial diploma;
- You have a minimum of 3 years’ current, relevant experience in a South African listed company environment – this would be a distinct advantage (being either direct experience or working for a service provider that acts as a sponsor to clients operating in this listed space);
- You have current, relevant experience in the financial services environment;
- You have a working knowledge of corporate governance principles, corporate governance codes (including the King Code IV and its recommended practices in the context of companies), applicable legislation and regulation that governs South African listed companies, including the companies act of 2008 and the JSE listings requirements;
- You have a strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
You are smart, capable and have a very good work ethic. You are reliable and responsible and have a strong IQ and EQ in equal measure. You will love this space – its up beat can do and global. Rewards on performance exceptional.