R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
This role is for a suitably qualified affirmative action candidate.
Our client believes in a better future. First and foremost, they are working towards a better future for their clients. They have entrusted the company with their investments and the company’s responsibility is to look after their capital. The company’s purpose is to help people around the globe enjoy a dignified retirement and to preserve wealth for future generations. Their culture supports innovation. The company values honest debate and the sharing of ideas. Their people are encouraged to challenge the status quo.
They now seek an Investment Risk Analyst to join their team. This is a high-profile role working in a team with direct exposure to investment decision-makers and company’s senior management. You will interact daily with the portfolio managers and advise and support their decisions. You will interact with the client managers who manage the relationships with the trustees and the asset consultants to ensure they understand how to convey the risk appetite in the portfolios. You will be robust in your style but not inappropriate or bolshie – we are not looking for a bookish person we are looking for a smart, technically astute individual who can calibrate the information that is technical and use it appropriately – to ensure a sound investment risk framework but not as a reactive process but as a pre emptive and cooperative one.
This is a global function the head of risk for the group and the operating entities globally sits in London. You will have one very skilled colleague in CT who together with you, will manage the SA portfolios.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be responsible for effective risk management policies, procedures and processes to identify, measure, manage and monitor all relevant investment risks; ensuring that portfolios’ risk profiles are consistent with limits set;
- You will be responsible for reporting on those risks as appropriate;
- You will be required tquantify and provide insights into the investment risks inside portfolios, with a focus on the company’s South African strategies;
- You will be responsible for regular risk reporting requirements across asset classes, providing portfolio analysis and measuring and assessing the risks within investment portfolios (e.g. volatility and VaR measures, portfolio biases, factor sensitivities, stress testing, liquidity analysis etc.);
- You will be required to interpret the output of the company’s risk management systems for relevant portfolios, becoming expert in these systems and enhancing output as appropriate;
- You will be required to engage intelligently with and respond to investment risk questions from various stakeholders including fund managers, senior management, clients and regulators, presenting their work verbally and on paper in an intelligent and coherent manner;
- You will be responsible for the generation of risk reports for internal boards, investors and external regulators as required;
- You will be required to troubleshoot and solve general issues of a quantitative nature arising within Investments;
- You will be required to work closely with, contribute to and support the broader company’s investment risk function and team, based in London and Cape Town;
- Mandatory responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for adhering to the code of ethics and related policies, including personal account dealing, gifts, inside information, etc.;
- You will be responsible for ensuring compliance forms and declarations are completed and returned on a timely basis;
- You will be responsible for ensuring timely completion of compliance training;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that you maintain appropriate level of training and threshold competence levels;
- You will be responsible for ensuring you keep up to date on procedures and best practice relevant to your job responsibilities;
- You will be responsible for ensuring regulatory, client and other corporate records are maintained;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that firm and client data and property, including IT data, are properly protected and that advised best practices are followed to maintain confidentiality and security of all data;
- You will be responsible for reporting any possible and actual breaches, errors, or complaints;
- You will be responsible for reporting any possible concerns about conduct or unfair treatment of customers to compliance;
- You will be responsible for reporting any suspicion that a client, investor, or employee may be involved in money laundering, fraud or other crime;
- You will be responsible for being alert to possible wider compliance and operational risk issues within the general business;
- Non-mandatory responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for ensuring that your team procedures are kept up-to-date;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that all changes in business practice are taken through the appropriate business forums;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that regulatory, client and other corporate reporting deadlines are met;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that if handling client monies and client assets that they are properly protected, recorded and reconciled;
- You will be responsible for maintaining “chinese walls” / “ethical walls” with other parts of the group and within the company under the inside information requirements.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have intellectual curiosity, resilience and a desire to understand and impact investment portfolios;
- You have the ability to communicate mathematical concepts both verbally and in writing in a clear manner, to a wide variety of audiences is key to success in the role;
- You are a proactive individual who can work independently while at the same time operating effectively within a team;
- You are meticulous with a keen eye for detail and willingness to learn;
- You are able to work under time and other pressures without supervision and be able to prioritise and manage projects effectively from start to finish.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a degree in a quantitative subject or one with a high mathematical content, e.g. mathematics / statistics, engineering, finance, econometrics or other suitable discipline;
- You have practical experience of working in an investment management environment – this would be a distinct advantage;
- You have current, relevant experience in a front-office investment risk role and a strong understanding of the drivers of risk within investment portfolios across asset classes;
- You have strong Excel VBA and programming skills would also be desirable given the technical focus of the role;
- You have current, relevant experience with investment risk systems.
You are a bright, articulate individual who is passionate about investments and markets and enjoys using your mathematical mindset to support and suggest investment decisions. Significant exposure and constant challenge! Exciting front office role.