R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client who has been established in South Africa has grown to become Africa’s largest privately owned investment management company. The company is an investment management firm focussed on building long-term wealth for their clients.
They now seek a lead compliance manager – group assurance to join their team. This is a new position as a result of promotion and re structure– all very positive.
When the group operates in a controlled environment, the business objectives and strategic initiatives are more likely to be achieved. A controlled environment would be one where key opportunities are identified and acted on (upside risks) and uncertainties/blind spots that may cause financial loss, regulatory/contractual breaches or reputational damage (downside risks) are understood and appropriately managed. The company sees the purpose of the group assurance function (comprising group risk, group compliance, group legal and group internal audit) to enable the business to achieve this controlled environment.A golden thread runs through all the assurance functions i.e. a shared focus on what could go wrong and on the opportunities to manage risks better either from a legal, regulatory, operational, strategic or IT perspective. The company will achieve this purpose when we get the following three things right: 1) assurance function team members with sound business context and appropriate technical experience; 2) a robust process and dashboard to measure, track progress and report on risks and 3) technology underpin to make this seamless.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be responsible for managing the SA regulatory compliance team in order to assist the business in discharging their responsibility to comply with applicable legislative and regulatory requirements through managing the provision of compliance services and to identify, assess, manage, monitor and report regulatory compliance risks facing the organisation;
- You will be required to manage and oversee the monitoring of relevant legislation, internal rules and policies impacting the business, including wider legislative, regulatory, company and industry standards, and pro-actively assist the business in implementing new and / or amended regulatory requirements;
- You will be required to manage and oversee the team’s effective implementation of the compliance monitoring programme and undertake all aspects of monitoring activities, including drafting, maintaining and enhancing compliance monitoring plans;
- You will be required to review and sign-off compliance reports to management and prepare various committee and board reports;
- You will be required to manage and oversee the team’s ability to track instances of non-compliance with respective business unit managers until resolved;
- You will be required to interact with regulators, industry bodies and other external stakeholders;
- You will be required to review training programmes to ensure that it is in compliance with regulatory obligations;
- You will be required to actively participate in consultative and lobbying structures regarding legislative and regulatory developments;
- You will be required to cultivate constructive relationships that result in the business proactively seeking compliance involvement.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You are a self-starter;
- You are highly organized;
- You are confident;
- You are proactive;
- You are pragmatic;
- You are able to juggle responsibilities;
- You are comfortable in a team environment;
- You are analytical and methodical;
- You are accurate with a keen eye for detail;
- You have excellent problem-solving skills;
- You have cross-functional awareness and collaboration skills;
- You have strong business acumen and insight;
- You are highly motivated, proactive, innovative and detail orientated;
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You have excellent reporting and interpersonal skills;
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a B.Bus Sc/LLB or B.Com LLB or a B.Com/B.Bus Sc with compliance qualifications;
- You are a compliance practitioner registered with the Compliance Institute of South Africa;
- You have current, relevant experience within the financial services industry, specifically relating to the operations of Category I, II and III FSPs, a CIS Manager, Long-Term Insurer and Pension Funds;
- You are a FAIS approved compliance officer with the FSB;
- You have passed the applicable FSB regulatory exams;
- You have a minimum of 10 years’ current, relevant work experience in compliance, of which at least 2 years should’ve been in a leadership role. Experience may have been gained at an asset manager, management company, compliance consultancy, an insurer, or other relevant organisation;
- You have strong working knowledge of the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (including the FIC Amendment Act); Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act; Long-Term Insurance Act; Collective Investment Schemes Control Act; Protection of Personal Information Act and the Pension Funds Act;
- You have excellent Microsoft Office skills – MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint etc.
Work for a really smart capable team. Learn from a very skilled and hands off manager. Work for one of the best in SA. Global best practice and exposure while working in CT! Rewards on achievements will be significant.