R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client is a specialist investment manager, providing a premier range of products to institutional and individual investors. Employees are equity stakeholders in the firm. Established in 1991, the company has been built from a small start-up into an international business managing £72bn on behalf of third party clients. We have grown from domestic roots in Southern Africa and the UK to a position where we proudly serve a growing international client base from the Americas, Europe, Asia, Australia, the Middle East and Africa. The company employs 158 investment professionals. The company seeks to create a profitable partnership between clients, shareholders and employees, and to exceed clients’ performance and service expectations. The company is a significant component and independently managed entity within the group, which is listed in London and Johannesburg. They now seek a Product Developer to join their product development team.
You are a strong academic who is highly numerate; this is essential. You are achievement motivated and you are passionate about product development as a career. This role will provide great exposure as you will be working closely with EXCO members and you will have the opportunity to get involved in every aspect of the product and business.
You may also have not completed your actuarial studies and have part exams passed or quants subjects passed – this would suffice if your academics are top drawer. Please note that this role requires you to be flexible and capable and not a BAU person – this is not a 9-5 role – the team are all MD’s or international business heads and need you to yes, do the work and be hands on but have the confidence and technical nous to sell your idea to a diverse audience nationally and internationally. As also you will be required to respond to market needs when and as they happen – so perhaps something happens in China that would affect a product offering – you need to be able to respond timeously and smartly!
This is a role for an appropriately qualified, previously disadvantaged candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to operate as a global business unit, with team members based in both the London and Cape Town offices;
- You will be based in South Africa, with a strong focus, at least initially, on the firm’s in SA and wider Africa-related product initiatives;
- You will be responsible for supporting new product development, and management of existing products, across the company’s Africa business.
PRODUCT MANAGEMENT, NAMELY:
- You will be responsible for changes to existing products in the various Africa-related product ranges (IFM SA, Namibia & Botswana, IAL, etc.);
- You will be responsible for supporting work on industry-level interaction and lobbying with respect to industry activities such as unit trust regulation and retirement reform;
- You will be responsible for helping assess the suitability of products for the target markets including the development of appropriate pricing and testing of performance fee and profitability assumptions;
- You will be responsible for competitor analysis to ensure that the range remains relevant to investor needs.
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT, NAMELY:
- You will be required to research and interpret competitor offerings and market trends, and work with senior colleagues to convert these into recommendations for the product strategy;
- You will be required to understand the impact of regulatory requirements for the product range and help to identify opportunities and threats;
- You will be required to take an innovative and proactive approach in supporting implementation project work;
- You will be required to support senior colleagues in the product design and creating product specifications;
- You will be required to support the launch of new products.
RISK AND COMPLIANCE RESPONSIBILITIES, NAMELY:
- You will be required to adhere to the in-house Code of Ethics which forms part of employment contract, and which includes the following key policies: Conflicts of Interest, Treating Clients Fairly, Confidentiality of Client and Business Information, Handling of Inside Information, Personal Account Dealing, Disclosure of Outside Interests, Provision or receipt of Gifts, Entertainment, Events or other benefits;
- You will be required to be alert to possible and actual breaches of procedures and regulators rules and report them to the line manager and compliance, and where applicable to operational risk;
- You will be required to be alert to possible and actual complaints from investors and clients and report them to the line manager and compliance team timeously, via SharePoint;
- You will be required to maintain client confidentiality, and ensure that client data is protected, encrypted, transported securely and is stored away each evening and if sensitive information, that it is locked away;
- You will be required to maintain Chinese walls with other parts of the company;
- You will be required to keep up-to-date on procedures and best practice relevant to job responsibilities, to avoid operational losses and operational risk events from crystallising;
- You will be required to ensure that procedures are kept up-to-date and any gaps or concerns are notified to the line manager, as well as compliance and operational risk;
- You will be required to ensure that all changes in business practice are taken through the appropriate business forums and notified to compliance, operational and investment risk before they commence (for example new products, new business areas, new client type, new investment types or markets, etc.) to ensure any necessary due diligence can be performed in advance;
- You will be required to ensure that any suspicions that a client, investor or employee may be involved in money laundering or fraud or other crime are reported to the compliance team;
- You will be required to report fraudulent activity timeously to operational risk or compliance;
- You will be required to ensure appropriate level of training and threshold competency.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You are meticulous;
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English;
- You have the ability to interact with individuals at various levels;
- You have an analytical approach and an ability to apply this commercially;
- You are able to show initiative and look for ways to improve existing processes;
- You have the ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict time lines and manage multiple priorities;
- You are tough and prepared to stand up for your opinions;
- You are able to look for solutions to problems rather than just identifying issues.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a B.Com hnrs/ B. Bus.Sc/ Actuarial exams – and STRONG academic results; the latter is essential;
- You have a three years current, relevant experience in a similar role in the investment industry;
- You have a good understanding of the regulatory and wider compliance environment.
This is a great opportunity to set your career up with an outstanding outfit where you will rub shoulders with industry leaders and be rewarded handsomely for your effort!