R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client is an independently managed global asset manager within the group, which is listed in both London and Johannesburg. The company is founder-led and employees are equity stakeholders in our business. The company provides investment products and services to institutions, advisory clients and individuals. Clients include pension funds, central banks, sovereign wealth funds, insurers, foundations, financial advisers and individual investors. Established in South Africa in 1991,offering a small range of domestic investment strategies. The company is now a truly global business managing approximately R1,931.1bn* for clients from all over the world. Servicing these clients from offices in London, Cape Town, Johannesburg, New York, Hong Kong, Taipei, Singapore and Sydney (and more). They believe in a better future. First and foremost, they are working towards a better future for their clients. They have entrusted the company with their investments and their responsibility is to look after their capital. Their purpose is to help people around the globe enjoy a dignified retirement and to preserve wealth for future generations. The culture supports innovation. They value honest debate and the sharing of ideas. Their people are encouraged to challenge the status quo.
The Performance & Attribution group is a global team with a presence in London and Cape Town. The team services all offices globally, providing investment performance analysis on single assets, portfolios/funds, benchmarks, strategies, capabilities and the total firm, to various parts of the business. These include Portfolio Managers and the broader Investment teams, Client Groups, Marketing and Senior Management. Analyses are produced from a variety of systems which include StatPro, FactSet, Morningstar and Bloomberg.
They now seek a Performance Analyst to join their team. You will report to the Performance Manager.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to assist in the calculation, production and reporting of fund, benchmark and peer performance & attribution over various frequencies, e.g. daily, monthly, quarterly etc.;
- You will be required to be proficient in the use of performance systems to deliver and report these analyses;
- You will be required to assist in the continual development and improvement of performance & attribution reports, processes and system configuration;
- You will be required to assist with daily ad hoc requests and query investigations;
- You will be required to ensure the accuracy and consistency of reported fund, benchmark and peer group information;
- You will be required to engage intelligently with various stakeholders in the business including portfolio managers & broader investment teams, client groups, marketing and operations;
- You will be required to assist in the production of management and board reporting;
- You will be required to assist in the production of monthly GIPS reports and annual verification;
- You will be responsible for varied project work;
- Risk and compliance:
- Mandatory responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for adhering to the code of ethics and related policies, including personal account dealing, gifts, inside information, etc.;
- You will be responsible for ensuring compliance forms and declarations are completed and returned on a timely basis;
- You will be responsible for ensuring timely completion of compliance training;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that you maintain appropriate level of training and threshold competence levels;
- You will be responsible for ensuring you keep up to date on procedures and best practice relevant to your job responsibilities;
- You will be responsible for ensuring regulatory, client and other corporate records are maintained;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that firm and client data and property, including IT data, are properly protected and that advised best practices are followed to maintain confidentiality and security of all data;
- You will be responsible for reporting any possible and actual breaches, errors, or complaints;
- You will be responsible for reporting any possible concerns about conduct or unfair treatment of customers to compliance;
- You will be responsible for reporting any suspicion that a client, investor, or employee may be involved in money laundering, fraud or other crime;
- You will be responsible for being alert to possible wider compliance and operational Risk issues within the general business;
- Non-mandatory responsibilities:
- You will be responsible for ensuring that your team procedures are kept up-to-date;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that all changes in business practice are taken through the appropriate business forums;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that regulatory, client and other corporate reporting deadlines are met;
- You will be responsible for ensuring that if handling client monies and client assets that they are properly protected, recorded and reconciled;
- You will be responsible for maintaining “chinese walls” / “ethical walls” with other parts of the company group and within the company under the inside information requirements.
- Mandatory responsibilities:
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You are a team player;
- You have a keen eye for detail;
- You have a keen willingness to learn;
- You are a self-starter;
- You have the ability to work under time and other pressures with or without supervision is a must.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a degree in a quantitative subject or a degree with a high mathematical content, e.g. mathematics / statistics, finance, econometrics;
- You have an interest in financial markets / instruments / analytical concepts and is demonstrated by your work experience to date.
- You have a programming ability – this would be a distinct advantage but is not essential;
- You have a minimum 2 years’ current, relevant experience within performance or a related area within asset management / banking or at a vendor;
- You have current, relevant experience in performance calculation or reporting would be preferred, although applicants with a thorough understanding of performance and related concepts – this would be a distinct advantage;
- You have proficiency in StatPro and / or FactSet preferred or other performance and attribution systems;
- You have exposure to Morningstar and Bloomberg – this would be a distinct advantage;
- You have strong Excel skills;
- You have VBA, SQL or R knowledge – this would be very useful.
You are confident but not brash; smart but always keen to learn and have relevant current skills. You would like to work in a global best practice business and enjoy the benefits of same which include working with highly skilled staff; and performance bonuses that reflect the standards expected.