Work with the institutional business development team ( global )
R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
This global, top performing asset manager, who consistently outperforms ‘all’ benchmarks is headquartered in Cape Town and is one of Southern Africa’s most successful third-party fund management companies. They are a pure fund management business that provides both individual and institutional investors with access to markets across a number of geographies. Located in all the major regions in South Africa they also have offices in Botswana, Swaziland, Ireland, Namibia and the United Kingdom.
They now seek a Funds Lawyer to join their team.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to play a significant legal support role within the global institutional business team (and within the wider business when required). The Global Institutional Business team is a high performance team that is the client face (both on a client acquisition, client service and retention basis) for the company in both the Southern African and International Markets;
- You will be required to be a full in-house legal support for the client facing Fund Managers (FM);
- You will be responsible for ensuring business activities, segregated mandates and fund structures are compliant with the relevant local/foreign jurisdictional regulations and rules;
- You will be responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal agreements concluded with clients and third party service providers from time to time, including investment management agreements, mandates, side letters (for both local and foreign clients), proposal and policy documents, confidentiality agreements and amendments to such legal agreements;
- You will be responsible for advising on all legal and regulatory requirements in regard to the take-on of new clients, including FATCA, FICA requirements and international anti-money laundering requirements, if applicable;
- You will be responsible for maintaining the legal constitutional documents of the company’s funds such as the information memorandum (prospectus) as well as the legal product documentation underlying the other company products and ensuring that these are amended to cater for product amendments and / or legislative / regulatory changes;
- You will be responsible for providing the required legal support for the establishment of new products, including drafting the product documentation underlying new products (such as information memoranda/prospectuses), reviewing the application forms and other client forms required for such new products and drafting/reviewing the third party contracts related to such new products (such as custody agreements and administration agreements);
- You will be responsible for ensuring all legal agreements, legal fund/product documentation, client on-boarding documentation comply with all legal and regulatory requirements and are accurately captured, stored, maintained and scanned;
- You will be responsible for providing legal input when required on client surveys, due diligence questionnaires, tenders and databases;
- You will be responsible for providing legal input on Fund Factsheets, website copy, manuals etc. that may be required from time to time;
- You will be responsible for researching legal queries within the team and the broader business when required to do so. To the extent necessary, briefing external legal counsel as and when required and managing their legal outputs;
- You will be required to complete the above accurately and within stringent time constraints;
- You will be required to assist with general legal tasks in the area and the wider business as and when required.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You are a responsible and accountable individual;
- You are diligent and conscientious;
- You are a finisher – tenacious and goal-orientated;
- You have an ability to work in fast moving, high pressure environment;
- You have unparalleled organizational skills and highly efficient with ability to multi-task;
- You are a self-starter, proactive and able to use initiative;
- You are eager to learn;
- You are a team player and able to develop efficient working relationships across all levels of the business;
- You possess an ownership mentality and a willingness to take responsibility for tasks through to completion within tight timelines;
- You have a keen eye for detail, high accuracy, goal orientated and a willingness to learn and be hands on;
- You are highly organized, good at multi-tasking and able to deal with people at all levels.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You are an Admitted attorney and are a BA.LLB/ B.Com LLB; with good results;
- You have minimum 2 years current, relevant post article experience in an FS environment;
- You have current, relevant asset management experience and if not asset management certainly financial services and investments;
- You have current, relevant commercial drafting experience;
- You have strong knowledge of MSOffice skills.
Great team – high performance culture- hit the ground running and be well rewarded for same!).