R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client consistently delivers superior investment performance. They think deeply and independently- constantly pursuing excellence for their clients. The company is a medium-sized, specialist investment management firm. Founded in 2001 and currently manages over R40 billion funds across the risk spectrum for sophisticated institutional and private investors. They have a diverse team of experienced investment professionals and follows a valuation-oriented, contrarian investment philosophy. Staff own 49.9% of the business, which fosters an entrepreneurial spirit. The company culture encourages and enables clear, differentiated thinking. The company offers a narrow product range, focused only on areas where they believe they can excel for clients.
IT systems and tools are employed extensively to enhance efficiency, productivity and the company outsource non-core functions to preserve a professional environment focused on investment decision making. They avoid unnecessary structure and continually search for ways to operate more efficiently. The company’s investment team is intentionally small with a flat operating structure and each member has input into investment decisions. The company is focused on attracting the best people to their company, enable and incentivize them to deliver their best thinking and output. The company encourages accountability and rewards excellence through performance-based remuneration. The key characteristics inherent in the people are: flexible, curious and questioning; an inner drive and competitiveness to achieve superior performance; a strong intellectual ability and the drive to apply it deeply; encourage and conviction to pursue original, unconventional thinking; the confidence to be contrarian.
They now seek an Associate Trader to join their team. You will report to the Head of Trading. They are a small trading team of three.
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified affirmative action candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to work within the trading team that is responsible for the execution of investment ideas;
- You will be required to assist in sourcing, consolidating, filtering, capturing, communicating trading related data and information;
- You will be required to work within a highly successful and experienced investment team, learn about trading in multiple markets and asset classes;
- You will be responsible for updating the trading models;
- You will be responsible for computing and analysing trade information;
- You will be responsible for trading team support;
- You will be responsible for compiling trade reports;
- You will be responsible for post trade administration;
- You will be responsible for ad hoc requests;
- You will be responsible for presenting market information to the investment team and potentially clients.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You are flexible, curious and you question things so that you find answers on how to do things better and smarter;
- You have an inner drive and competitiveness which ensures you achieve superior performance;
- You have a strong intellectual ability and the drive to apply this;
- You have a keen eye for detail;
- You have courage and conviction to pursue original, unconventional thinking;
- You have the confidence to be contrarian;
- You have a high degree of initiative;
- You have excellent communications (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You have a clear interest in investment markets.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have B Com with a quantitative focus (e.g. actuarial science, finance and accounting, statistics, financial mathematics, engineering, etc); or B.Bus Sc;
- You are a CFA or studying towards a CFA qualification;
- You have 2 years current, relevant experience in a related position within the financial services arena. You are a smart, capable individual with good academic results and a focussed work style and are able to work in a stressful, high performance space – without making errors or being fazed by this – in fact you thrive on challenges and consistently work hard and accurately!
This is an outstanding opportunity to work in the investments industry and learn from seasoned, successful investment professionals.