R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client is a licensed discretionary investment manager specialising in the management of investments for both institutional and retail investors. They have an enviable track record and are a listed entity with a significant Africa and global footprint.
They now seek a Risk Officer to join their team. You will report to the Head of Risk.
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified affirmative action candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be required to support the Head of Risk with the implementation, embedding of the group’s enterprise, risk management and the governance frameworks within the business which includes risk policies, methodologies, processes, tools, independently monitor and report on business adherence to a minimum standard set;
- You will be required to provide independent risk oversight, monitoring of the appropriateness and completeness of risk management (include control environment performed by the business in support of the achievement of business strategy and objectives);
- You will be required to facilitate the performance of the formal risk and control assessments for a portfolio of investment companies and operational support functions in line with the group’s minimum requirements, including providing independent challenges on the completeness of risks identified; appropriateness of risk assessments and effective management of risks;
- You will be required to monitor the risk profile of the business in line with risk appetite, make practical recommendations for the improvement of the risk management and perform independent oversight over the timely implementation of the management actions that are appropriate for addressing gaps in risk management;
- You will be required to perform timely escalation of risks to the Head of Risk in line with the group requirements;
- You will be required to investigate, analyse, report on risk events (include operational losses) in line with the group requirements and make recommendations on appropriate remedial actions to effectively address any control deficiencies;
- You will be required to support the Head of Risk with the performance of the risk reporting process adopted within the group.
- You will be required to compile the formal risk reports and risk updates that clearly describe the key risks and remediating actions for tabling at various governance structures, as well as managing the timely escalation of risks to internal and broader group stakeholders;
- You will be required to develop risk insight to support the proactive identification of risks or any improvements required to the management of existing key risks of the business;
- You will be required to perform ad hoc and planned deep dive risk reviews as part of the group’s combined assurance model;
- You will be required to perform on-going active engagement within the business to keep abreast of developments and to inform timely and relevant risk management focus;
- You will be required to perform independent risk oversight through involvement in business projects and change initiatives;
- You will be required to actively promote the embedding of a risk culture within the business, which includes the performance of risk training and awareness;
- You will be required to liaise with the group internal audit on audits conducted in the business, provide assurance on the timely and appropriate resolution of audit findings through a process of regular engagement within the business.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have analytical and critical reasoning skills;
- You have knowledge of process analysis, development techniques and methodologies;
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You have superb presentation skills and confidence;
- You have relationship building skills;
- You have a keen eye for detail;
- You are able to gain commitment;
- You have in depth technical knowledge;
- You have strong knowledge and use of enterprise risk management systems;
- You are able to initiate action.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have B Com honours in internal audit/risk management;
- You have current, relevant experience in risk management/internal audit experience and in the investment industry;
- You have current, relevant financial services industry experience and asset management experience;
- You are proficient in Microsoft Office.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a highly focused, energetic team and work in a global best practice working environment.