R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS
Our client is one of the largest alternative investment managers in Africa, with R57.9 billion (US$3.9 billion) assets under management. They manage investments in private equity, infrastructure and a range of impact funds.
They now seek a Property Investment Professional to join their team.
A vacancy has arisen for a Property Investment Professional with the Development Impact Funds Unit located within the Alternatives Investments Boutique. This Unit is responsible for, amongst others, the innovative Housing Impact Fund of South Africa (HIFSA), the Schools and Education Investment Impact Funds of South Africa and the Retirement Accommodation Development Fund.
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified affirmative action candidates.
JOB DESCRIPTION WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- You will be responsible for originating, implementing and managing investments in the development impact investment space on a commercial basis, in particular in the fields of rental accommodation and property;
- You will be required to be a high energy, high output individual seeking to make a difference to residential development in South Africa through investment and enjoy working in a dynamic team this might be your home;
- You will be responsible for researching, analysing and providing relevant information in the development impact investment space in the fields of housing and rental property with a focus on the affordable sector of the market;
- You will be responsible for investment opportunity identification and analysis;
- You will be responsible for analysis of the appropriateness and quality of identified property;
- You will be required to assist in originating projects, in association with other members of the team;
- You will be required to undertake due diligence and analyse the suitability of a project partner with reference to track record, financial soundness, sustainability, scalability, operational soundness, including sales and profit estimates, projected rates of return on capital, total equity, asset utilization and leverage;
- You will be required to conduct advanced financial and risk analysis;
- You will be required to make recommendations regarding investment attractiveness in comparison to other deals both within the fund and independent but known projects;
- You will be required to structure the deal within the mandates of the fund; develop a financial model for the project in conjunction with the JV partners. Stress the model appropriately;
- You will be responsible for, together with the credit analysts, to help devise an internal rating for the project;
- You will be required to negotiate and develop appropriate term sheets for the project. Stress these in terms of default probabilities;
- You will be required to write up and present investment proposals;
- You will be required to make recommendations for the selection of investment decisions to the investment committees;
- Management of the investment once approved, either jointly or singly responsible for the performance of certain assets or cluster of assets which includes:
- You will be responsible for the client relationship with regard to those assets;
- You will be responsible for the client compliance with the letter and spirit of the legal agreements on an ongoing basis;
- You will be responsible for ensuring the client delivers on the development mandate of the relevant fund;
- You will be responsible for the quarterly performance of the clients projects portfolio;
- You will be responsible for writing quarterly, six monthly and annual asset reviews;
- You will be responsible for preparing six monthly and annual valuations of assets;
- You will be required to contribute to decisions about the management of problem assets and implement such decisions;
- You will be required to provide report-backs and performance feedback;
- You will be required to contribute where required to interacting with and managing, third party investors into the fund;
- You will be required to assist clients with project promotions in conjunction with the company’s appropriate departments (media, mass distribution, research etc.);
- You will be required to work with clients on cross-benefits between the deals from different funds and inter-boutique opportunities;
- You will be required to analyse and record the developmental impacts and social benefits as a consequence of investments;
- You will be required to represent the team on the boards of the project companies.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have focused, high levels of energy;
- You have ease of decision making;
- You have adroit implementation skills;
- You have tenacity;
- You have a strong work ethic;
- You have passion / commitment and drive;
- You have the ability to take own initiative;
- You are able to take ownership of tasks;
- You have team orientation skills;
- You have strong technical knowledge, particularly financial modeling and assessment as well as property skills;
- You have lateral thinking skills;
- You have solution orientated bias;
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written) skills in English;
- You have relationship building skills;
- You have a pre-existing property network.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a B Com or similar commercial undergraduate degree;
- You have a B Sc or Masters (property studies or related field (e.g. MBA));
- You have minimum 5 years current, relevant experience in the low cost housing and/or property sectors;
- You are able to meet FAIS requirements within a year – education and experience (i.e. be registered with the FSB and have passed 1st level regulatory exam, RE5) would be a distinct advantage.