R HIGHLY NEGOTIABLE PLUS ANNUAL PERFORMANCE BONUS – to attract and entice!
Our client in the broad is a long-term savings, protection and investment group, providing life assurance, asset management, banking and general insurance in Africa, Europe, the Americas and Asia. This team plays a central, co-ordination and strategic role within the group balance sheet management function. This team is the main touch point in balance sheet management for the numerous business units within the group, which include banking and insurance businesses, spanning over 13 countries across Africa, Latin America and Asia.
They now seek a Quantitative Risk Specialist to join their team. This is a super-fast paced, high energy team. All are bright, articulate, focussed and goal driven.
The role will support the company’s balance sheet management asset, liability and market risk teams. The role focuses on the development of quantitative risk management models, product structuring and management of risk and investment products.
This role is suitable for appropriately qualified employment equity candidates, only.
Areas of responsibility may include but not limited to, namely:
- You will be required to provide guidance, oversight to junior team members, both from a technical and a commercial perspective;
- You will be required to act as a senior member of the market risk, asset & liability management (ALM) team and provide guidance to junior members of the team;
- You will be required to act as a point person on various issues related to the above, assuming responsibility and accountability to service the clients effectively;
- You will be required to work across teams (market risk and ALM) and deal with stakeholders on various levels (junior associates to senior executives);
- You will be required to bring insight, knowledge, experience within the team and apply a unique perspective in the balance sheet management space;
- You will be required to show the ability and willingness to work on multiple work streams at once, prioritizing and managing stakeholder expectations where required;
- You will be required to assist in the development of innovative product offerings and customized products;
- You will be required to develop quantitative financial risk models for the product structuring and management, with a focus on guaranteed products;
- You will required to run, manage projects with durations varying between 3 to 6 months with a focus on remaining accountable until delivery of results;
- You will be required to provide regular feedback to the broader team, ensure consistency with the broader business principles and objectives;
- You will be required to provide technical expertise within the group function, segment actuarial finance teams, the product development and support teams;
- You will be required to produce financial models, tools, maintain financial data to support the risk measurement, pricing of market, credit and liquidity risk (supports the development, refinement of applicable tools and systems);
- You will be required to provide quantitative support for the teams within the balance sheet management department;
- You will be required to review financial models and provide feedback in line with principles of financial economics;
- You will be required to contribute to the technical standards of within the department;
- You will be required to monitor effectiveness of risk management strategies and produce regular risk reports;
- You will be required to identify opportunities and risks in order to protect shareholder value for the group.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- You have robust leadership skills;
- You have strong collaboration (relating) skills;
- You have good execution skills;
- You have innovation (perspective) skills;
- You have the ability to lead with influence
- You have personal mastery (learning) skills;
- You are strategic;
- You are accountable for service delivery through own efforts;
- You are able to collaborate effectively with others to achieve personal results;
- You are able to show a willingness to work on multiple work streams at once, prioritizing and managing stakeholder expectations, where required;
- You are individually accountable for managing own time, tasks and quality over periods of up to a year;
- You are able to make increased contributions by broadening your skills.
CORE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- You have a M.Sc. / M.Phil. / M.Com (actuarial science / quantitative risk management / financial mathematics / financial engineering);
- You have a minimum of 5 years’ current, relevant experience in either banking, insurance or consulting within these industries;
- You have current, relevant experience on both sides of the balance sheet – i.e. Insurance ALM and an interest and some experience (hopefully recent) with quantitative modelling.
- You have experience in: “guaranteed product development”, “investment guarantee modelling”, “insurance ALM”, “annuity pricing”, “financial engineering” and “stochastic model development”;
- You have a FRM, CFA, PRM, CQF, FIA, FASSA, CERA;
- You are able to produce models using a combination of C# (or similar), Matlab and VBA, and advanced Excel skills.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of a high-performance team, working with super smart people in this role and in a growing team.